This programme is a 3 Day programme, to prepare learners to become a People Handling Instructor QQI Level 6 (Formerly FETAC).
Training may be delivered in-house at your company premises or learners can attend a course at National Safety Centre.
Preferred entry requirements
Learners who have achieved the Level 6 Specific Purpose Certificate in Manual Handling Instruction.
Learners seeking access to programmes leading to this award must have relevant people handling experience
Participants who have completed this course will be able to
- To enable the learner to effectively design and deliver people handling instruction
- Carry out people handling risk assessments at their place of work.
Who should attend?
Learners with an interest in designing and delivering people handling instruction and people handling risk assessments at their place of work.
Recognition of Prior Learning (R.P.L.)
The RPL process is most suitable for instructors who are in certification of a People Handling Instructor Certificate or recently attended an update people handling course, and regularly provides people handling training courses.
Maximum Number of Candidates Per Course
- Unit 1: People Handling Risk Assessment
- Explain the people handling risk assessment process through the use of people handling scenarios
- Identify protocols and procedures which may impact on the people handling risk assessments process, to include an understanding of the concept of balanced decision making, infection control, challenging behaviour, critical medial emergencies, complex clinical issues, human rights and the fluctuating mobility level of the person
- Describe a range of controls to avoid and reduce the risk of injury to include a critical analysis of a range of people handling equipment
- Unit 2: People Handling Principals and Techniques
- Apply the main principles of manual handling to a range of people handling tasks, with particular emphasis on the need to carry out a personal and dynamic risk assessment to determine if the people handling tasks can be carried out safely
- Carry out a range of appropriate people handling techniques to include transferring, supporting, gliding, rolling, sitting, standing and mobilisation for people who need assistance.
- Analyse the learners performance of people handling techniques
- Unit 3: Planning and design of People Handling Training
- Develop people handling training programmes, to include lesson plans with clear objectives, appropriate material and aids to support learning and strategies to motivate changes in people handling practices
- Unit 4: Delivery of People Handling Training
- Deliver instruction in practical people handling techniques to a group of learners
- Skills Demonstration - 60%
- Examination - Theory Based (20 short-answer questions) - 20% (Pass = 16)
- Assignment (to be submitted after the course) - 20%
Pass mark for certification 50%
Successful candidate will receive a QQI (Formerly FETAC) Level 6 People Handling Instruction Certificate.