This programme is a 5 Day programme, to prepare learners to become Manual Handling Instructors (QQI / FETAC Level 6).
Training takes place over 5 days and may be delivered in-house at your company premises or learners can attend a course at National Safety Centre.
Participants who have completed this course will be able to
Effectively design and deliver manual handling instruction
Carry out Manual Handling Risk Assessments at their place of work.
Who should attend?
Learners with an interest in designing and delivering manual handling instruction, and carrying out manual handling risk assessments in the workplace. The course is open to all Learners specifically those who are involved in Health & Safety in their workplace and have previous experience as an instructor in other fields.
Maximum Number of Candidates Per Course
Unit 1: Health & Safety Legislation and Health Benefits specific to Manual Handling
Safety, Health & Welfare at Work Act 2005
Safety, Health & Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulations 2007
Management of Manual Handling
Manual Handling Risk Assessments and Control Measures
Unit 2: Anatomy of the Spine and Back Care
Structure and components of the Spinal Column
Risk Factors for Back Injuries
Good Back Posture
Unit 3: Ergonomic Principles and Risk Assessments
Key Ergonomic Principles for Workplace Design
Manual Handling Risk Assessments
Manual Handling Case Studies
Risk Reduction for Manual Handling and Analysis of Manual Handling Equipment
- Unit 4: Manual Handling Principles and Techniques
- Safe and appropriate Manual Handling Techniques
- Carry out a range of Lifts
- Analyse Learners Performance
- Unit 5: Planning and Designing Manual Handling Training
- Develop Manual Handling Programmes
- Develop Lesson Plans
- Identify Necessary Organisational Resources
- Unit 6: Delivering Manual Handling Training
- Delivery of a Manual Handling Programme
- Understanding Adult Learning
- Effective Communication Skills
- Skills Assessment - 60%
- Examination - Theory Based (20 short-answer questions) - 20%
- Assignment (to be submitted after the course) - 20%
Pass mark for certification 50%
Successful candidate will receive a QQI (Formerly FETAC) Level 6 Manual Handling Instruction certificate.